Saturday, August 19, 2017

Babbling Bout Batteries...

My Battery Soap Box Sermon Rant, which is titled Just Sayin we need Battery Awareness (Babbling Bout Batteries). 
We are using batteries  to destroy our earth.
I counted the batteries in our home for this post and am Shocked to the Core.
We have 59 things in our home that require batteries
2 hearing aids
1 BP monitor
7 watches (really?)
2 clocks
9 wireless devices, (kindles, laptops, tablets, phones, mice, keyboards
3 home phones
5 TV remotes
4 Radio control transmitters
6 lithium batteries to fly RC planes
1 Cordless dust buster
2 calculators
9 flashlights, 5 in house 4 in garage
2 car batteries
3 cameras

Do  the math.
Population,
323 million in USA,
China 1 Billion,
Florida 22 million..
Multiply by what is in each home.
236 million cell phone batteries in USA alone
On our street in 4 blocks there are 6 homes with 5 cars each home.
Scary!!!!!


PLUS! a few things we don't have in our home
Lighted Christmas Village
Singing Frosty Snowman
Wireless doorbell
Smoke alarms
Lego Clocks
Game controllers
Spinning Toothbrushes
Face Scrubbers
Last but not least, is there anyone that doesn't have battery powered candles? Yowsa!
I forgot I have those to...
the LIST goes on and on and on.
I JUST READ THIS TO BOB, he has several things in the garage I was not aware of.
like a battery tester that uses batteries.. OH MY!
NOPE! I don't have the answer
WHAT DO YOU HAVE??
And don't even get me started ON BOTTLES WATER
Batteries are made from a variety of chemicals to power their reactions. Some of these chemicals, such as nickel and cadmium, are extremely toxic and can cause damage to humans and the environment. In particular, they can cause soil and water pollution and endanger wildlife. Excerpt from Clean Up Austraila PDF file HERE

18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I had no idea about this! Not to mention kids that swallow the button shaped batteries because they look like M&M's. And dogs swallowing batteries. But I think neither of us will get rid of ours...

Ann said...

I never really stopped to think about how many battery operated things I have in my house but I sure it is quite a lot.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I agree we do use a lot of batteries. Hubby and I try to do our best in helping our lessen our footprint on earth. You do have a lot of things that we do not have here. I would like to know why you do not have a smoke alarm, that is pretty important thing to have. I do not have any battery powered candles.

Plastic water bottles are very bad too, we are guilty of buying bottles of water. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day!

Karen said...

Good info I had not thought about.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a wake-up post Sandra and while I have not yet totalled the number of batteries in our place, I'm sure I would be amazed as you were by the tally. We have many of the same electronics you mentioned (tablets, e-book, keyboard, cameras, phones) and st least these use rechargeables. I do try not to use disposable water bottles, and have auite a collection of refillable ones, but Grenville is not similarly inclined as he prefers disposables. We do have 2 cars, at least both 10 years and older and only 2 TV remotes and no battery candles, just the real ones.

My Mind's Eye said...

OMCs MA...I AM THE ONLY PURRSON IN THIS HOUSE WHO IS CONCERNED ABOUT OUR EARTH. I HAVE NOTHING THAT USES BATTERIES
HUGS MADISON D GREEN CAT

photowannabe said...

We are guilty of using countless things with batteries. Our garbage collection agency does recycle batteries if we put them all together in the garbage. The same with plastic bottles. All our garbage is sorted at the facility and recycled. We save our glass and plastic and take it to a recycling center. Get some money for them and they go back to the appropriate place to reuse them.
I guess we are in such a disposable society that no thought is given to the after effects.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

We are trying our best to use rechargeble batteries in our day to day items, but you're right Sandra, we think people need to be more "battery aware"!

Lois said...

It is very scary! In my house I would have to add my grandkids' toys to the list.

DawnTreader said...

I dare not count!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing to think about!

Rose said...

I have never counted but I have had similar thoughts. I really would be afraid of the number. I know it would be similar to yours. Not as many flashlights.

Also, just my driving and going places I don't have to go...though I swear I think my rambling drives help save my sanity sometimes. Just think of all the traveling that is done that doesn't have to be done...all the gas and emissions....

I won't go on and on...

Pam said...

And as a professional photographer your external cheats up batteries. .....which I recycle. But you are right....most home have a bunch and I am a part of that also.

Hootin Anni said...

Seriously-I can count the batteries in use on my two hands around here. We don't do much but electric. 7 batteries...2 car batteries, 2 clocks, 2 cellphones, and camera.

Mevely317 said...

Good grief ... it hurts my teeth to consider! Happy our maintenance department encourages everyone to bring in their used batteries then disposes of them safely. (???)

Between your Bob and my Tom, they might have enough r/c stuff to start their own hobby shop. The live poly (sp) batteries do scare me ... even kept in the garage.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I would not be able to read your blog if batteries were not around as every computer needs a battery on the motherboard for memory. And how would you take all those lovely photos without your battery operated cameras?
But you a correct. We are abusing the planet for our own comfort more than ever before. No idea if ever a solution will be found.
Sadly batteries can cause serious fires and many people are not well educated about how NOT TO put them into the garbage. They MUST be recycled.
By the way the population of China is PAST 1.3 billion and India is not far behind according to live population post on google. World is at 7.5 billion.
India and China are big battery consummers like us. Both nations now have billionaires and large middle classes that use all the similar gadgets.
We need a genius to come up with a new way to harness power.

Just Mags said...

Wow, I had never though about how many batteries are in use. A bit scary what all we are doing to the earth. Hugs

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It would be nice if there was a solution to the battery problem.