Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Hostage Situation


After this posted I realized it is way to long. The short version is.. Our spring broke on the garage door, and we could not get our 2 trucks out for 17 hours... for those who don't have time to read all this blah blah. thanks for stopping by.

Behind these doors, on Thursday night, 10/12 in the year 2017, a hostage situation occurred in our home. At exactly 7:30 AM, Bob went into the garage to close up for the night, I went to wash my face. With water running I heard a LOUD BANG, since we had just watched 3 episodes back to back of Ray Donavan, I thought WAS THAT A GUNS SHOT?
I rushed to the door and said What Was That?
The spring broke on the garage door and dropped it DOWN.
Without a Spring, the 1000 pound door can not be moved by man a lone.


Inside the garage, our two trucks are HELD HOSTAGE, We can't get them out. I grab my Tablet and  said to Google Girl,  'spring on garage door broken' and get LINES of people saying the same thing, I read several articles on how to release our trucks from bondage, watch one video and then go to one of  ads offering to send out a Hostage Negotiator to free the cars. It even had an emergency number, which I called.
The young man listened sympathetically and said, I can send someone between 8 and noon tomorrow.  (I assume if the door was on Bob's foot, that would be an emergency)
The next day at noon, Gaetano the Negotiator freed our trucks within a short 35 minutes by replacing a giant spring, 10 rollers and 2 long cables. The Ransom Paid was $609.00. 


The Rest of the story.... that same day we had attempted to get our flu shots and due to a glitch in computer, came home after waiting 45 minutes. She called just before the door fell and said, it is approved, can you come now? well, no, we go to bed in an hour. we will come at 9 in the morning. She said remember, the flu vaccine disappears quickly. Can you hold 2? No, we are not allowed to hold vaccines. Next day we could not go at 9, I called and she said I think we have enough to last all day... come as soon as you can.  

Guess what? we found a way to slow down the time that has been on fast forward, waiting for him to come and for us to be freed to go, it took 87  hours for 4 hours to pass. We were held hostage by our garage door for SEVENTEEN hours...  all of those hours I spent thinking of things to be thankful for, that the door did not fall on one of us or on the trucks, that we lived where there are negotiators, that we had the money to free the door. Does this count as Friday the 13th since is started on the 12th?


18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Glad to see the scene of the crime and know all is well. And of course, October is an appropriate month for this kind of mishap. I am so glad you have been keeping your gorgeous header up, YEAH!

Anonymous said...

Cute post now but certainly not funny then. That is so scary about the door as heavy as it is.
Hope your arm is not too sore now from the flu shot.

Sandi said...

“Gaetano the Negotiator”

I am guessing a man with a name like that wears a cape.


Karen said...

Glad that you can get in and out of the garage now! That was quite a bill for the repair.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am glad Bob was not hurt. That heavy door would hurt someone. If you know a secret to slow down time, please let me know. Enjoy your day!

Gayle said...

whew, another near disaster avoided. At least hostage #3 knew an alternate route (Bob).
And it all turned out better than the RG's episode yesterday. He waited 2 hr for a no show AAA tow truck. (whole story another time) but at least he was at one of is favorites spots by the lake.

The Daily Pip said...

I think this definitely counts as a Friday the 13th story! Glad the trucks were not harmed in this hostage incident.

Pam said...

Oh my you sure do put a spin on things! That is a cute story! Sorry about the garage door. I know things like that can be an issue. Glad that you were able to get them out....later anyway.

My Mind's Eye said...

That was all the horror shows/movies I've ever seen wrapped up in to 17 hours.
Thank goodness the hostess negotiator wasn't looking to retire completely after fixing your garage...just take a day off to go to Disney. Jumpin' catfish that scary, exciting and I must say comically written
Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness our springs have broke four times in the 31 years we have been here - so far Rick has been able to put a spring back on - not sure anymore - $609 - wowowowowowow!

Lois said...

What an ordeal! Reminds me of the time my car was held hostage in my garage when the power went out during a hurricane and I couldn't use the garage door opener. Those doors are heavy!

Mevely317 said...

Talk about making lemonade when life hands you lemons! You've such a way of turning serious scenarios into hilarity, Sandra. ... Have you considered become a script writer?

Thanks for mentioning flu shots. Tom refuses, but I want to get mine before our trip next month!

Ann Thompson said...

I would say that qualifies as a Friday the 13th episode. I will never have this problem because we dont have a garage

DeniseinVA said...

Those hostage negotiations can be very tricky;) Glad no one was hurt and the hostages were freed.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

We recently had the opposite problem. Our garage door spring broke while our cars were outside the garage! Unfortunately, we had to wait 3 weeks to get ours fixed!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thankfully this story ends well.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm glad that it all got resolved. For me I think how funny it is that I can be home for days and not go anywhere yet if my garage door broke I would be climbing the walls because I can't go anywhere!!

Linda said...

I got behind and am catching up tonight! Reading your posts out loud to Louis Dean and he is howling!! You are the 'Featured Presentation' for our entertainment tonight!