Saturday, May 12, 2018

Kentucky, how I loved you



all photos from internet
The above home looks just like the one where I was kicked by a mule while trying to PLATT its tail. The home had 26 children, 5 sets of twins, and to many grandchildren for me to remember. The family would not fit in the lens of my mothers old Brownie camera. The fondest memory of that home was the table on the back porch COVERED in pies and cakes and deserts. the biggest bowl of banana pudding ever made. Other bowls of rice pudding and tapioca pudding. OH MY

We moved to KY from GA in 1953. My dad's first church that he pastored was in DeWitt Ky.
The pay was almost NOTHING... think 30.00 per month.

 I have never missed a meal and never been hungry. the small church had what they called a 'pounding' once a month.  each family brought a pound of food many brought more than a pound. huge blocks of cheese, homemade butter, fruits/veggies, potatoes and bags of sugar and flour, not 5 pounds but the old sacks of them, that mother used the bags for aprons and wash clothes. the tires went bad on daddy's car, they passed a hat around and bought new tires. each sunday we went home with a different family after church, and stayed there until evening service. cows and pigs and chickens and horses and apple trees, oh my.... I was 10 and thought it was paradise. most of the men worked the coal mines or the railroad, the homes were what we call shacks now, but to me they were mansions of love.......
I was 20 miles from this Harlan County Ky the photos on this pinterest account show what it looked like when I moved there in 1953.

One Sunday we went home with my favorite family, because they had a daughter my age and teen BOYS to drool over, that shot me with milk from the cows.
We were 12 years old, and my friend wanted to bake a cake for the Pastor. When the cake was cut, it had a different taste. Seems she used corn meal in place of flour. The icing on the cake made it almost edible... and cause lots of laughter.


 when we drove through Flat Lick... the name put me and my brother into fits of giggles

19 comments:

Linda said...

More!!! MORE!!! We want more! Louis Dean and I are sitting in the gazebo (late at night as is our custom) and I read your post out loud with us hanging on every word! Please continue the narrative! We want to hear more!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love both photos and story! Extremely interesting!! I am with Linda! Even today, our church has had poundings. I have been to one. But not as abundant as yours. We do them when someone moves into a new house.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your childhood memories. Growing up in a small town, I remember the pastor/family visiting our home periodically for Sunday lunch.

Ann said...

Wonderful story and memories from your past. I'm with everyone else. Give us more. I have gone to Kentucky twice. Both times I was there was when my son was doing his basic training at Fort Knox.

Hootin Anni said...

I sooooo, really, really, LOVED reading this! I'm like Linda...more!!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Sandra, this was brilliant!!! More more more... perhaps some for the FFF on the 25th??? I know it's not fiction, but it is relating a tale of history in a beautifully lyrical way - love it. YAM xx

Pam said...

Such a great story....Flat Lick, cool. I know during tornado season here while watching the news I will listen for the different areas that the storm is appearing, some wild names out there. Thanks for sharing.

My Mind's Eye said...

Sandra what pleasant memories...no internet no haggling no jealous just love for your fellow neighbors.
The back porch scene you painted is very much like what I remember from my great uncles farm. He raise chickens and sold eggs, had tobacco and cattle.
7 kids all worked in the field but the girls had 2 jobs. Aunt Suzie and the girls must have gotten up at 3 or 4 to prepare ahuge breakfast set up on the porch. Biscuits as big as saucers and light as a cloud. Help clean up the head to the fields all this usually before sunrise. By sunrise in the field by 10 back to help with a huge lunch for family and farm hands. Always banana pudding served at lunch and supper and wonderful pies. Clean up stir repeat again for supper. We visited a lot my older 2nd cousins taught me how to milk a cow and stand the proper distance from it to receive a squirt from its udder.
I learned how to hand tobacco in the barn but never worked the fields of which I was grateful.
Hugs and thank you for the memories
Cecilia

My Mind's Eye said...

PS I 100% agree with YAM's comment. You could cut and paste this for the first story.

Karen said...

I enjoyed your post and the photos and stories so much. I almost took a job teaching at Red Bird Mission in eastern KY, but couldn't bear being so far from my gk's in Indiana. It is beautiful in the mountains and the people were
nice.

Mevely317 said...

10-year-old Myra would have been so envious of 10-year-old Sandra! And those puddings! I love banana pudding, but when my mom made tapioca THAT was a real treat. Now I'm joining everyone else who's asked for MORE!

PS - So curious about PLATTing the mule's tail ... and thanking God you weren't killed!

photowannabe said...

I agree with Linda...More, More..More...
You are sharing a life that I really know nothing about.
Your life as a pastor's daughter is straight out of the Bible. People living The Word.
Thanks for sharing...I love it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, thanks for sharing the story and photos. Wonderful memories.

Rose said...

Oh, Sandra, you know I love this...I was not even born when you moved there! And I know you are older than me, but somehow or other always feel like we are closer in age.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing some of your childhood memories.It seems that folks were more willing to help out others back then.

Chatty Crone said...

It is unanimous - I want more too!I did not know this about you. Who were the 26 kids? And I have never heard of a pounding - I loved hearing it and would love to hear more.

Happy Mother's Day.
sandie

DawnTreader said...

I too really enjoyed reading this post! ♥ You should write your auto-biography... :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like your were happy.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Like all your readers we love you snaps but this memory pulled us all in for more. You are a natural at story telling as you can see by all the mores.
I was fascinated by the construction ot the homes sitting up of the bround. Want to know a lot more. Banana pudding> we only has chocolate and vanilla and sweet rice was cosidered a meal as we were poor in those early 1950’s.no car in our lives till 1955 when Dad worked for a dealer.